It's easy to assume that mobile casinos have been around forever, but that isn't the case. Until a couple of decades ago, the idea of being able to carry around real-money casino games in your pocket, let alone the casino itself, was about as realistic as having your own personal hoverboard.
Fortunately, computer technology has progressed rapidly, and the capabilities of modern smartphones and tablets have advanced considerably. That advancement has made it possible for us to do all kinds of things on our mobiles, from online shopping to making video call with friends, that weren't previously possible. Most major casino operators had already embraced the internet by going online, and so they were also keen to adapt to the 'internet anywhere' trend and make themselves just as playable on mobile devices.
In this article, we will take a good look at the world of mobile casinos so that you can choose one that best suits your needs. We'll talk about the things we consider when rating mobile casinos, the advantage of playing on mobile devices, the key differences between desktop casinos and their mobile cousins, the best games to play on mobiles, and a whole lot more.
These Are Our Top Recommended Mobile Casinos for Kiwi Players
One of our main duties here at CasinoGuide is to assess and rate mobile casinos so that we can highlight the best ones for our readers. We do that by looking at 10 essential aspects and awarding a numerical rating according to how well a particular venue performs in relation to each one. Let's take a quick look at each of those areas in turn.
Security and Licensing
We only recommend mobile casinos that are safe and legal, so we first check to make sure that a venue is properly licensed and regulated. We also assess how secure it is, with the best venues being ones that employ strong encryption and data protection protocols to keep your information safe.
Welcome Bonus, Other Bonuses and Promotions
Signing up with a new mobile casino is something that we believe should be rewarded, so we also look at the bonuses that are being offered to new players. We also think that existing players should be rewarded for their loyalty, so we assess the promotions that are offered to those who play regularly.
Choice of Software Providers
The best mobile casinos are those that offer games from a variety of different software providers. The more providers there are, the greater the range of games you will be able to choose from. We don’t insist on every casino having dozens of providers, but we do want to see at least a handful of big-name providers being involved.
Choice of Games
Games are what mobile casinos are all about as far as players are concerned. What we want to see here is a good choice across all of the main genres so that there is something for every type of player, from the online pokie fan to the Live Casino and table-game enthusiast. We also check to make sure that the games on offer have been independently certified as being fair to all.
Casino Reputation Online
When a mobile casino has been around for a while, we look at the kind of reputation that it has with those who have spent time and money playing with it. We don’t think that all online reviews should be taken at face value (negative reviews made following a big loss are rarely objective) but if the majority view a particular casino as being good or bad, we will take that broad third-party opinion into account.
A minority of casinos offer mobile games solely because they think they have to. That kind of begrudging approach isn’t one that we like. The best mobile casinos are ones that are genuinely enthusiastic about this new type of online gaming. The more friendly a casino is to the mobile world, the better.
Deposit and Withdrawal Times
How long does it take for deposits and withdrawals to be processed? That’s the question we ask in this part of our assessment. The best mobile casinos will process deposits immediately and withdrawals in a few business days at most. If a casino drags its feet then we won’t be impressed and its rating will reflect that.
Customer Support Friendliness and Efficiency
The final main area that we assess is how efficient customer support is. We don’t expect every mobile casino to offer support on a 24/7 basis, but we do expect support to be provided promptly during the hours when it is available. The more friendly and efficient support is, the better the casino rating will be.
There will no doubt be some readers who play exclusively on their desktop and laptop computers, and who are wondering why anyone would want to play on a mobile device or casino app in the first place. Well, there are at least 3 good reasons why mobile casinos have caught on in a big way.
- Play Anytime, Anywhere
The first advantage of mobile casinos is that they let you play at any time, and in any place where you have a reliable internet connection. This means that you can play just as easily sitting on a park bench during your lunch break, on your sofa while watching Netflix, or even when standing in line at a supermarket checkout, as you can when sitting at your desk.
- Flexibility Will Lead to Less Burnout
Mobile casinos are always accessible whenever you want to play, and that flexibility makes it easy to play for shorter bursts of time throughout the day. This means you're less likely to burn yourself out by spending hours at your desktop computer and you can simply play for ten or fifteen minutes, always stopping before you lose too much money.
- Mobile Casino Games You Can Pay by Phone Bill
Another benefit of playing at mobile casinos is that it often makes it possible to pay via your phone bill. This is convenient because it means that you don't have to check credit card statements or e-wallet transactions to monitor your casino spending. Instead, it can all be listed on your phone bill.
- No software to download or install.
- Play on any mobile device with a modern web browser.
- Uses desktop layout optimized for mobile.
- All games are available.
- Ability to deposit and withdraw as normal.
Downloadable Casino App:
- Software download and installation required.
- Your device must be compatible with the available app.
- Mobile-specific design and layout.
- Only the games on the app are playable.
- Ability to service your account varies.
Free Mobile Casino Games
- No deposit is required.
- Play mobile casino games without cost.
- No risk of losing.
- Play for as long as you want.
- Great way to try new games.
- You can’t win real money.
Mobile Casino Games for Real Money
- A deposit is required before play is possible.
- Each game costs money to play.
- Losing games means losing money.
- Stakes can be adjusted to suit your budget.
- Play for as long as your budget allows.
- You can win real money.
Most mobile casinos will offer the same bonuses that they offer to desktop players, but a few might make some bonuses exclusively available to mobile customers. For example, players might be offered a certain number of free spins, or an extra deposit or cashback bonus when playing on mobile for the first time.
Exclusive mobile bonuses aren't common, but they do exist, so be sure to look out for them.
There are tens of thousands of different mobile casino games that can be played on tablets and smartphones. The exact titles available will of course differ from venue to venue, but almost all casinos will include the most popular types of games. These include:
- Blackjack - This is one of the most traditional casino card games in the world. Try to get your hand closer to 21 than the dealer, but don't go over or you'll bust.
- Roulette - A horizontal wheel is spun and you bet on the numbered well in which a metal ball will land when it comes to rest.
- Online Pokies - These are the most popular mobile casino games of all, and they work just like regular pokies. Spin the reels and if a set of matching symbols land on the same pay line, you win.
- Video Poker - These games require you to make the best five-card poker hand that you can from two deals. Hold the cards that you want to keep and discard the rest.
- Keno - Pick a selection of numbers and see how many of them are drawn by the casino. The more selections you match, the more you can win.
- Live Casino - These are table games and "game show" titles that are presented by human dealers. The action is video-streamed live and direct to your mobile.
Explore a dozen mobile casinos at random and you'll find that the names of several software providers come up again and again. That's because some providers stand head and shoulders above the rest both in terms of the number of titles they've released and the quality of those games. Here are six of the best:
- NetEnt: Founded in 1996, NetEnt has spent more than 25 years creating some of the most entertaining games around. Standout titles include Starburst, Divine Fortune and Gonzo's Quest.
- Playtech: Launched just three years after NetEnt, Playtech is another provider with plenty of experience. Popular titles in NZ include Sahara Riches Cash Collect, Quantum Roulette and Buffalo Blitz.
- Pragmatic Play: This developer arrived on the scene in 2015 but has wasted no time in becoming one of the most prolific developers in the business. Landmark games to check out include Sweet Bonanza, Gates of Olympus and Chilli Heat.
- Red Tiger: Some of the most original mobile casino games around have come from Red Tiger. This company was founded in 2014 and it's the one that gave us Piggy Riches Megaways, Dynamite Riches Megaways, and many other big hits.
- Quickspin: This developer launched in 2012, and while it hasn't been quite as prolific as some others, it has still managed to release over 100 top-quality games. Some of its best-loved titles include Eastern Emeralds, Sakura Fortune and Big Bad Wolf.
- IGT: The oldest developer on our list is IGT, which has been around for longer than the internet. Many of its games have become household names, and three must-play titles are MegaJackpots Cleopatra, Da Vinci Diamonds and 7s Wild.
Different mobile casinos will offer you a different range of payment options, but some of the most popular methods that you'll encounter are as follows:
- Credit Cards: Many mobile casinos will let you make deposits using VISA, MasterCard and other credit cards. Note that it isn't always possible to withdraw money back to credit cards, so bear that in mind.
- PayPal: Making a deposit is as easy as paying for an online shopping purchase with PayPal. This method also allows withdrawals, which keeps things simple.
- E-Wallets: You can fund your account at many mobile casinos with e-wallets such as Apple Pay and Google Pay. As you might already be using these on your mobile they can be particularly convenient.
- Online Banking: Use online banking and you can transfer money between your bank account and the casino directly. Note that this method tends to be slower than some of the others listed here.
There is no shortage of very good mobile casinos and casino apps for players in New Zealand, but how do you find the best ones? Here are a few tips that will prove useful:
If you have a particular type of game or maybe even a particular title that you like to play then focus on casinos and apps that offer it. Similarly, if you know that you will want to make deposits using a certain method, you should choose a casino that accepts that method. Always remember that what's best for you is a casino or app that can accommodate your own personal needs and preferences.
Different welcome bonuses suit different types of players. Some mobile casinos aim their bonuses at online pokie fans, but others might also have separate bonuses for table game players or Live Casino enthusiasts. Compare the welcome offers that are available and go with an operator that has something you will be genuinely thrilled to take advantage of.
It's our job to assess mobile casinos and casino apps and then rate and review them in a fair and objective manner. Read through our reviews, take a close look at our highest recommendations and you'll be gaming with the best in no time.