Thunderstruck Wild Lightning is the 2021 sequel to Thunderstruck II, which was released in 2010. That was also a sequel, and it followed up on the original Thunderstruck slot which got things started in 2003. The whole series is one of the strongest in the online gaming world, and every new instalment manages to bring something fresh and exciting to the table while remaining loyal to all that has gone before it. Thunderstruck Wild Lightning is no exception, and this slot brings Thor to life in fantastic style.
Where to Play Thunderstruck Wild Lightning
- Gaming provider: Stormcraft Studios
- Launch date: 2021
- Reels, rows, and paylines: 5 reels | 4 rows | 40 paylines
- RTP & volatility: 96.10% | High volatility
- Min and max bet: 0.20 -16.00
- Game features: Link&Win, Free Spins, Wild Lightning
Artists often complain, especially in the digital realm, about being constrained by the limitations of current technology. They create something, but it's only after years of further technological development that they are able to properly communicate their original vision. We mention this because that's how this latest release in the Thunderstruck series comes across. It feels like the game that the designers wanted Thunderstruck to be all along, and here, at last, it's here to be played and appreciated as its creators intended.
This game by Stormcraft Studios has a five-reel, four-row format. For those of you who haven't played any of the earlier Thunderstruck games, it focuses on the adventures of Thor, the Norse god of thunder. In this instalment, Thor is on a quest to find something called the World Stones, which have been lost.
The reels are presented against a beautifully illustrated deep-space background. Lower-value symbols on the reels include rune stones depicting the playing card ranks of 9, 10, J, Q, K and A, while higher-value symbols are five different World Stones. Thor himself is a wild symbol and will multiply any win he helps to achieve by either 2 or 5 times. Thor's hammer, Mjölnir, is a scatter, and special Thunderball symbols can land with a cash value or jackpot name.
All of the symbols are very well presented, and there is some good animation in the main game from time to time. This game also boasts a fantastic full-length rock soundtrack, which you can listen to the music on Spotify - search for Thunderstruck Wild Lightning by Thorsten Stormborn.
To the left of the game grid, you'll see a Link&Win counter showing six empty slots. Land six Thunderball symbols on the reels at the same time and they will fill all six slots to trigger the Link&Win feature. This will take you to a screen where you can spin the reels to collect and hold as many Thunderballs as possible. The number of rows can increase as you play, and as well as winning cash prizes from the Thunderballs you can also trigger one of four jackpots to pay out, as follows:
- Mini jackpot pays 25 times your bet.
- Minor jackpot pays 50 times your bet.
- Major jackpot pays 150 times your bet.
- Mega jackpot pays 15,000 times your bet.
Free Spins Features
There are five different Free Spins bonus modes that can be unlocked in this game. Each one needs to be unlocked by triggering free spins a certain number of times, and will give you different benefits, as discussed below:
- Jotunheim Free Spins is unlocked on the first free spins trigger. It will give you 15 free spins with a Wild Win Multiplier of 2x, 3x or 5x. You can win up to 32,000 times your bet in this round.
- Vanaheim Free Spins is unlocked after 5 free spins triggers. It gives you 12 free spins with a Wild Win Multiplier of 2x, 4x, or 6x, and the ability to win up to 34,000 times your bet.
- Alfheim Free Spins is unlocked after 10 free spins triggers. It gives you 9 free spins with a Wild Win Multiplier of 3x, 5x, or 8x, and the chance to win up to 52,000 times your bet.
- Nidavellir Free Spins is unlocked after 15 free spins triggers. It gives you 6 free spins with a Wild Win Multiplier of 5x, 8x, or 12x, and win potential of up to 56,000 times your bet.
- Svartalfheim Free Spin is unlocked by collecting 20 pairs of hammer scatter symbols in the main game. These will be tracked via a Wildstorm counter to the left of the reels. When the counter is full, this mode will be triggered the next time you get three or more scatters. It will give you a single free spin with the Wildstorm feature guaranteed. This can turn up to five reels wild and help you win a top prize of 128,000 times your stake.
Wild Lightning can strike in any of the free spins bonus rounds except the Svartalfheim. Get a wild symbol on any of the middle three reels to activate the Wild Lightning feature and when you get another in the same position the whole reel will turn wild.
Thunderstruck games don't come along very often. We had to wait 7 years between the release of the original slot in 2003 and the arrival of Thunderstruck II in 2010, and it took another 11 years for Thunderstruck Wild Lightning to follow that. The good news is that it was well worth the wait. This is a genuinely superb slot that excels right across the board, from the visuals and audio to the multiple features and fantastic potential for landing big payouts. Play it today and you'll be swinging hammers around in no time